U.S. Department of Defense Regional Calls With Tribal Nation Le
The United States Department of Defense (DoD) invites Tribal Leaders to regional calls with Richard D. Kidd, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Environment and Energy Resilience, to discuss how the DoD can enhance government-to-government consultation with Tribes and ensure that consultation is regular, meaningful, and robust in all instances. The purpose of the sessions is for Tribes to provide input on the DoD plan of action to address the requirements in the Presidential Memorandum of January 26, 2021: Tribal Consultation and Strengthening Nation-to-Nation Relationships.
DoD requests input from Tribal Leaders to help the Department:
• Identify procedures to ensure that consultation is regular, meaningful, and robust
• Build awareness among Tribal Leaders of DoD policies on consultation
• Improve Department of Defense Instruction 4710.02: DoD Interactions With Federally Recognized Tribes (available at www.denix.osd.mil/na/policy)
• Enhance the capacity of military installation leaders and staff to foster stronger nation-to-nation relationships
• Protect Tribal lands, rights, and resources from impacts related to the ongoing operations of military installations and training activities
• Measure the progress of its consultation and coordination with Tribes
• Promote the success of DoD-Tribal partnerships and collaborative efforts
• Address legacy pollution of Tribal lands due to past DoD activity
• Recognize the service and sacrifice of Native American veterans
• Communicate with Tribes and Tribal-owned businesses about opportunities to work with the Department
REGIONAL CALL DATE TIME (Eastern)
Alaska/Pacific Northwest | Monday, April 12 | 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
East/South/Midwest | Tuesday, April 13 | 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Rocky Mountain/Southwest/West | Friday, April 16 | 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
DoD requests interested Tribal Leaders RSVP by April 11, 2021, to DoD_NativeAffairs@keresnm.com to receive an invitation to the call and to indicate the Tribal representative who will participate in the session for the Tribe.